Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Little Trip To Hear The Rain Drums

The other day Teddy and I decided to take advantage of the sunshine!! Yes sunshine in WA. It was very cold but the sun was out and all the snow was gone. So we headed up to Rattlesnake Ridge ( have no idea why they call it that as there are no rattlesnakes) to the hear the rain drums. Up at the top of the ridge is the Cedar River Education Center. Built looking at Rattlesnake Lake and the ridge surrounded by beautiful trees one feels totally in tune with nature. Teddy had never been to hear the rain drums so as we approached he stopped, cocked his head and wasn't sure he wanted to proceed. I told him it was OK, just wonderful music.

The drums are placed into the natural gardens in the courtyard of the center. Now the amazing thing is they actually play music. They are all synchronized by computer. Each drum is different in shape and size and the drops of water create the different sounds. They have really done a fantastic job as you really don't see any of the mechanics of the operation. I wish you could hear the sounds. It's like nature talking to you.
There is a little stream passing through the setting and places to just sit and enjoy!
Here I must have taken 20 pictures, but I finally caught the drops hitting the drum.
It was a fun break from my re-organizing chores. But as the sun was starting to go behind the mountain, the temp was dropping Teddy was ready to go home.
He even offered to drive. Maybe next time Ted, maybe next time!!!!

A beautiful place to visit only minutes from my home.






















3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Sharon, I wish I could hear that sound, how perfectly wonderful. You live in a beautiful part of this country. And although it is cold and wet, its soo green, and lush. Thank you for sharing this with us.
I was thinking today how really wonderful bloggging is as far as how we are able to touch each others lives in an instant, and what an impact we as women artist are having on connecting and reaching out to the world. It's truely amazing.
Blessing,
Beth

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

I have never heard of rain drums before so thank you for sharing this story along with fascinating photos! You must feel like you're in another world when visiting this magnificent place in nature!

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

I think seeing and hearing the rain drums is so neat. I have never heard of them.

What breed of dog is Teddy? I have a Bichon Frise that kind of looks like him.